Monday, 3 September 2012

Unfortunate wash day @ 8 weeks post: learning from my mistakes

 
On this last stretch I encountered increased breakage that I've never experienced past 6 weeks post since on my hair journey. During my last wash on Saturday at 8 weeks post, my hair emerged from the shower extremely tangled and matted! :( Unfortunately I didn't have my detangler on hand and so it took the better part of an hour to detangle. Even with my patience I ended up with a large ball of broken and shed hair! If that wasn't enough, I think my hair was starting to break at the demarcation line, something I've almost never experienced before. Grrrr

Looking back I can try to evaluate some possible causes of my unusual wash day experience:

  • My regimen, even at 8 weeks post was exactly the same as at my first weeks post relaxer
I think this point may be the root of my problems. I've often read many relaxed ladies describe the changes they make to their regimen as they go deeper into a relaxer stretch. I know I should have adapted my regimen too, but honestly, ain't nobody got time for that! LOL 

Ok back to being serious....

I think that as my hair gets deeper into a stretch:
  1. I may experience issues with porosity as my cuticles remained raised (from repeated airdrying) This increases the chance of my hair losing moisture faster, remaining in a weak state and thus snapping and breaking off. 
  2. I need to condition more often. Co-washing mid-week may help restore precious moisture to the line of demarcation between my natural and relaxed hair, helping to restore elasticity and prevent breakage. 
  3. My hair needs. more. protein. Now its a proven fact that my hair loves protein! I definitely think that from 7 weeks post and onwards I should use the Organic Root Stimulator Hair Mayonnaise to deep condition weekly. This conditioner has more protein than my weekly staple conditioner (ORS Replenishing Conditioner) 
  4. From 6 weeks post I repeatedly had my hair braided, (cornrowed) several times a weeks. Although the manipulation done to create this style might have increased my breakage slightly, I'm inclined to think that the first three points made my issues worse. 
I'm going to try to make a conscience effort to adapt my regimen as I go deeper into my relaxer stretches. Using the points above, I'll draft a new regimen, post it and evaluate its effectiveness at preventing (and stopping!) any potential breakage, tangles and knots at 8 weeks post relaxer. 

How do you adapt your regimen during your relaxer stretches?

'Tis all for now!

Hatter


4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry you experienced some new breakage recently.

    I also had a similar experience last winter when I realized I had to switch up my regimen after 6 weeks post. My major issues during stretching are detangling and moisture retention. I started doing everything in sections and detangling/deep conditioning on dry hair to get my tangles taken care before actually washing.

    I hope the changes you make to your regimen reduce your breakage! HHJ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I already wash and condition in four sections, but I'm thinking of increasing to eight sections to further minimize tangles when washing. HHJ!

      Delete
  2. This is really true. I am 14 weeks post and can't wait to relax in 2 weeks. I had my hair in braids in an attempt to avoid the tangling, however it turns out, it as all waiting for me when I took out the braids. I personally think i need to relax at 10-12 weeks post, because beyond that I loose too much hair and I haven't found a way to avoid that. Thanks for your post tho, really got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been more than 9 weeks post and the thought of it makes me shudder! looool. I definitely think you should stretch only as far as you're comfortable. HHJ :)

      Delete