Thursday, 19 July 2012

Product Review: Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Deep Treatment Masque



This is another product I bought on my CVS visit last week. Like the Organix Nourishing Coconut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum, this wasn't on my wishlist. I did buy it because I remembered reading about the Shea Moisture brand which is supposed to be of high quality (plus, it produces organic products).

Evaluation: The texture of the product is extremely light and fluffly: "whipped" I think is the exact description. In the jar it looked quite nice but when I scooped it out it got messy. I was actually a bit annoyed at the consistency! lol I'm accustomed to using thick, heavy deep conditioners so the Shea Moisture was a bit tricky to control. I'm pretty sure some ended up flying across the bathroom floor. lol
The smell I found to be a bit overpowering but I have no major no complaints about it.

I left it on my hair for about an hour with no heat because I didn't bring my heat cap with  me on vacation.

Results: The first thing I can say about this product is that it left my hair with no slip at all! (Slip= the silky feeling of one's hair experienced after washing out conditioner.) After rinsing, my hair did feel moisturized but also a bit rough. Detangling took longer than usual because my hair was not lubricated by the product and so there was a lot of friction between it and the comb.

Overall, I don't think I would re-purchase this product but I'm going to find away to adapt it. Adding olive oil or my Organic Root Stimulator HAIRepair Vital Oils to it might improve the slip.

I wonder if natural-haired ladies like this product more?

Lesson: thoroughly research hair products before buying on a whim!

Happy hairrrrr
~Hatter

3 comments:

  1. thanks for the review. I think I'll pass on this product.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review. I've heard about the lack of slip this product has a few times. Their other conditioner from this line, the restorative conditioner, has the same problem. The restorative conditioner works well as a leave-in/moisturizer, I hear the same goes for this deep treatment masque as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the deep treatment masque can be used as a leave-in. I much prefer using it that way instead of as a deep conditioner!

      Delete