Saturday, 1 June 2013

My waist-length braids

Last Sunday my mother finished installing my waist-length braids.



This is the first time I've worn braids in about two years, and I've never had braids so long. I was a bit uncomfortable swinging around all the hair on my head and they also felt quite heavy for the first few days, but I've since adjusted to the weight.

Whenever I saw women with waist-length, or longer, braids I always thought, "Why would anyone want to wear super long extensions??." I assumed that it must be a pain in the neck to take care of them.

Now, I see that they really aren't so annoying, and I love the elegant look I get from wearing the braids cascading around me.

The most annoying thing about them was figuring out how to seal the ends. My mom used 'Xpressions', 100% kanekalon hair, which was very light but tangled very easily when manipulated. I tried plaiting the braids to the very end, then dipped them in boiling hot water. So far, most of the ends have stayed but some are already unraveling.


Here is a tumblr page I found with a lot of inspiration for box braids: iloveboxbraids.tumblr.com


And here is a video of some styles I plan to wear if I'm not lazy.



Yesterday I quickly washed my braids, skipped deep conditioning and proceeded to use a braid spray, then sealed my hair with jojoba oil. Next weekend I'll show my hair some much needed tender loving care by doing a lengthy deep conditioning session.

Love,
~Hatter

2 comments:

  1. i really loove that tumblr page. it on my favorites for a while.
    i personally love wearing braids. my mum install me box braids every winter or every sommer, so i never let a year past without having some box braids for at least 8 weeks.

    yours looks really nice. how will you care for them i.e how often will you wash them?


    www.hairausforderung.blogspot.de/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bebe! I plan to wash them once a week. Next time I'll try using shampoo only on my roots using an applicator bottle to prevent my braids getting messed up. Then I'll deep condition on my braids.

    ReplyDelete