Monday, 31 December 2012

1 Year Hair Anniversary: A look back at 2012

source


As we get ready to toast to the new year, its time to reflect on 2012 and give thanks for the many blessings I've received.

I thank God for a successful year, and for Jesus's help through my transition to university, as well as on my hair journey!

Entering 2013, I'm forced to wonder: how did the time fly so fast?
This month marked one year since I officially began my hair journey. I remember last December when I was dealing with irksome scalp issues and very heavy shedding. I thank God that it spurred me to research healthy hair care. From my first hair revelations by ulovemegz on youtube, to the Science of Black Hair, blogs and forums, I learned a lot of information that helped me to improve the health (and length!) of my hair.

Lets take a look at my hair near the beginning of my journey, and then to present.

January length check:



December length check:




I can definitely see progress!!
In January I was just shoulder length, and now in December I'm grazing arm pit length.

Other areas I've noticed health improvement include my scalp. For the past two to three months I have not had a major flare-up of seborheic dermatitis and my scalp is much less sensitive, dry and itchy. Whether this is due to healthier hair practices, hormonal shifts or diet, I'm glad that my scalp has been behaving!

I can't forget to mention that now I'm almost totally my own hairdresser. I've increased my DIY skills to the point that I am now a pro at washing, conditioning, rollersetting and airdrying my hair myself. I am especially happy that I've mastered these areas since I feel much more in control over my hair, instead of being totally dependant on a hairdresser.





On the other hand, I also had two minor setbacks this past year. The first was a "trim" by my old hairdresser that put me from about collarbone length to the shoulder length picture above. The second was the tear-worthy balls of hair I lost on my second to last relaxer due to major knots and dreads that formed in my new growth.

Ahh, and how can I forget my stretching issues at 8-9 weeks post? Those were the worst obstacles I've encountered on my hair journey, and I have to pay particular attention to how I stretch my relaxer in the new year.

Although there are still several areas of my hair's health that I have to work on, overall 2012 has been a successful year on my hair journey as I've learned a lot about how to take care of my hair and help it to thrive. =) Relaxed hair can grow!

What stood out on your hair journey in 2012? Have you thought of any areas of improvement for the new year?


Ask for what you want in faith and you shall receive it!


"And all things, whatsoever you shall ask in prayer, believing, you shall receive."
Matthew 21:22

P.S.
Aren't you glad the world didn't end this year?? haha

Have a happy New Year!
~Hatter

5 comments:

  1. Your hair looks great!! Yay for grazing APL!..... I can't wait to relax my hair to see where my length was for the 2012. Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can see progress in your hair too, well done, and congrats on mastering roller-setting, a talent I envy in anyone who succeeds at it. I am totally with you on the knots and tangles during relaxer. I had a terrible experience for my last relaxer on 15/12/12, but hey, onward and upward. Happy New Year and all the best for 2013 (feels weird writing that date lol)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol I know! 2013 feels like an odd year to write. Don't give up on those rollersets! My first sets were shameful but I soon got the hang of it, so I know you can do it too :)

      Delete
  3. I think you did an amazing job with your hair over your first year, especially considering that you had 2 setbacks. Just think, you've learned from your past experiences and now you've got a full year (2013) to keep doing what you've been doing -- you are bound to make some crazy progress. Good luck to you and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have done a great job with your hair and congrats on becoming more of a DIYer!

    And great progress!

    Can't wait to see what 2013 has in store for you and your hair!

    ReplyDelete